2014-0108 - get healthy, lose weight

About a week ago now I mentioned goals and got side tracked on how much I like lists.  I did mention that I am easily distracted!  I have been musing over those goals; and today I put pen to paper and started my list.

The problem with goals is that you have to put feet to them.  You can write down anything; but if you don’t put the plan into action, nothing happens.  In selecting goals, I have taken some advice from better goal setters than myself.  I borrowed the SMARTGoal acronym for some ideas.  You can find some great goal setting advice and a really cool matrix at Wikepedia.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMART_criteria

So here goes!!!

Goal:  get healthy, lose weight

S
Specific
I want to lose 100 pounds.  At 1 pound per week it will take me about 2 years.  I will need to adopt some new habits.
My new motto will be Eat Right, Move More, Stay Motivated!

M
Measurable
I will weigh myself every Saturday morning to measure my progress and to make sure the scale is moving in the right direction.

A
Attainable
Yes, I’ve lost weight before, so I know I can do this, the trick is to keep on after I get bored or when my food cravings kick in!  So, I need a plan!

Eat right:  With a few changes to my food and drink choices I will be able to add some nutrients and eliminate some calories.
  • Fewer fast foods (limit once per week)
  • More raw foods (cooking damages nutrients).
  • Drink Barley Max every day.  
  • Fewer processed and refined white foods (sugar, white bread, pasta).
  • More veggies (fresh is best; but frozen is acceptable)
  • More water (at least 8 glasses a day), organic green tea, and eliminate cream and sweeteners.


Move more:  a little exercise will burn off some of those pesky calories and build muscle.
  • Walk 3+ times a week.
  • Sign up for a spring 5K walk and start training.  Study the map so I don’t get lost again.
  • Use Urban Rebounder (for more than a clothing rack).
  • As soon as I’m able, swim twice a week.


Stay Motivated
  • Less television: endless commercials stimulate my gluttony and my covetousness.  I cannot sit and eat all evening and expect to lose weight, duh!
  • Clothes: For each pound lost I will put a $2.00 bill into a clothing fund.  $200 goes a long way at thrift stores and yard sales!
  • Stay busy:  When my mind, and my hands, are occupied I’m less likely to overeat.
  • Do not H.A.L.T:  Don’t get too hungry, angry, lonely, or tired.


R
Relevant
I have had lots of challenges with my health.  I would like to see some improvements.
  • Making good food and beverage choices will support my immune system and I will be healthier.
  • Losing weight, and building muscle, will take some stress off my joints and I will feel better.
  • Healthier people, with fewer joint problems, are more capable of serving God – and others.
  • God only gave me one body and I need to take better care of it. 
  • 1 Corinthians 6:19 (KJV) - What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?


T
Time-Bound
Two years seems like enough time to lose 100 pounds slowly and healthfully; that’s only one pound per week.  But, I need interim goals and rewards.
  • Today is my first day without refined sugar or white flour!  I will celebrate with a warm cinnamon apple and some organic chamomile tea.
  • Each week with an overall weight loss I will treat myself to some small craft item, or tool, so I can stay productive and motivated by something besides food.  In the past when I lost weight I celebrated with food (counterproductive, huh?)
  • Each month with an overall weight loss I will treat myself with something budget friendly but special; not sure what yet but I have to mark those milestones or I’ll get discouraged! Maybe a pretty journal, or a facial!  I'll let you know in a month.  ;-)
  • 21 Days:  I’ve heard it takes 21 days to develop a new habit.  So, for the next 21 days I will…
    • NOT buy junk food.
    • PLAN meals ahead of time.
    • KEEP more fruits and veggies in the house.
    • WRITE DOWN everything I put in my mouth.



See, Goal setting can be fun!  Now the hard work starts!  Would you please pray for me and encourage me in these goals?  I would sure appreciate it.

My prayer for today…  Dear Lord, Thank you for helping me develop a plan of action for improving my health, and losing some weight.  Lord, you know that I have had many a failure, and that I am very fearful, in this area of my life.  I really need Your help to succeed this time.  Lord, I know that you love me more than anybody else has ever loved me (or ever will); please be my strength in this journey.  Psalm 56:4 (KJV)In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.

Comments

The Top Three!

7 Ways To Make the Money Last - The Envelope System

2014-0119 - the harvest

2014-0102 - encouragement