2014-0205 - draw me nearer

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/Dogwood-tree-flowers_-_West_Virginia_-_ForestWander.jpg
God's Love is Such a Comfort
Today is the fifth of the month so today I read Psalm 65 and Proverbs 5; and God gave me something wonderful to think about!

Psalm 65:1-3 (KJV) – To the chief Musician, A Psalm and Song of David – Praise waiteth for thee, O God, in Sion: and unto thee shall the vow be performed.  O thou that hearest prayer, unto thee shall all flesh come. Iniquities prevail against me: as for our transgressions, thou shalt purge them away.

As for our transgressions, thou shalt purge them away…   Powerful words of encouragement for me because when I look in the mirror I see years’ worth of transgressions; but when I look at God’s love – and consider the sacrifice of Christ Jesus – I remember that God loves me enough to wash my sins away.  That is something to sing about!  Would you like to join me now???   

I have included a link to the song Draw Me Nearer so you can click right here and listen to the music and sing along if you'd like.  Draw Me Nearer - by Miss Fanny Crosby

When I think of David – as with many in the Bible – I am reminded that God uses imperfect, mortal, beings to accomplish His purposes.  David, like me, had some things in his life that he regretted; but God still used him mightily.  David started life well.  He believed in serving God, being obedient to his parents, and he was loyal to King Saul. 

David found favor in Gods eyes.  God saw that Saul’s heart had already been turned, and that he was no longer fit to be king, and God loved David enough to promise him the kingdom (even ahead of Saul’s own flesh and blood).  God saw in that young man the hope of a nation.

God had special plans for David.  That did not mean that David would not suffer, or that he would have a life of ease; God invariably wanted the best for David and for that David needed to learn how to depend fully upon God.  Saul’s jealousy and rage drove him made, and created an obsession, setting him on a campaign to kill David; but Gods plans will not be thwarted and He protected David time and time again.  He protects us too!

In the midst of his troubles, David knew that God was his protector and his redeemer.  He went to God repeatedly during his trials and tribulations.  Each new predicament showed David just how dependent he was upon God; each new malady served to remind him of his own weakness and the strength that God offers.  He even took the time, during his woes to write psalms and spiritual songs to praise, honor, and glorify God.  I really admire that about David.

Isn’t it true in our own lives that troubles make us run to God faster than triumphs?  When we are on top of the world, we believe we are self-sufficient; we may get the impression we have it all under control and that we don’t need any help.  Most of the time it’s when I can’t handle the situations on my own that I turn to God for help.  You’ve heard the expression “When all else fails, read the instructions”?  All too often, that has been my thinking.  Are you like that too? 

I am human.  Sometimes I just can’t help but wonder why people have to suffer; why must we endure pain, or sickness, or afflictions; why must we be scared, or tired, or lonely?  And, then I am reminded that those are the times when we naturally turn to God for help.

Now, please do not get me wrong, I am not saying that God causes these maladies.  NO!  I am not!  God created a perfect world, sin corrupted and contaminated that world, and suffering is the direct result of sin.  Sometimes it is our own sin that causes us pain, and suffering; and sometimes it is someone else’s sin that creates the havoc in our lives, but suffering is the result of someone’s sin.  But, remember, God can use that suffering to draw us – and others – to Himself, and when we are broken and all used up He can wrap His loving arms around us and comfort us.


My prayer for today   Thank you, Lord, for the sufferings in my life that have drawn me back to you.  Thank you, Lord, for your comfort and your protection during my rebellious, and disobedient, times.  Help me use the lessons I’ve learned during my sufferings to stir my compassion, to reach out with a helping hand, and to comfort others in their sufferings.

Comments

The Top Three!

2014-0119 - the harvest

7 Ways To Make the Money Last - The Envelope System

Decluttering Journey