2014-0207 - wisdom my sister


This morning’s reading, Proverbs 7, contrasted living in wisdom (seeing things the way God sees them) and the way of the “strange woman” or the harlot.  A literal reading of the passage warns us against sexual sin and reminds us that people will try to deceive us and make us believe our sins are ok, and that no one will find out about them.  Have you found that to be the case in your life?  Do those who entice you to sin reason with you and tell you that it’s ok as long as you don’t get caught?
Proverbs 4:7 (KJV) - Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. 
But, the truth of the matter is that sin always has consequences.  We may not see those consequences immediately; but, in the long run, our sins will find us out and we will pay for them.  Proverbs 7:27 tells us that the harlot’s house is the way to hell, and will lead us into the chamber of death. 

The harlot certainly has a literal meaning, but there is also a guiding principle in this passage.  We can think of the harlot as anyone, or anything, that draws us away from God.  For the unsaved the harlot might keep you from believing on Jesus Christ, from accepting his gift of salvation, and leading you to eternity in hell.

As a Christian, this passage to reminds me that if I let people, or possessions, distract me from my God given purpose in life that I will miss the many blessings that God desires for me.  No, as a Christian, the harlot cannot take away my salvation, she cannot damn me to an eternity in hell, but she can rob me of the joy found in serving God.

God has given me the opportunity to receive great blessings.  He has gifted me with the King James Bible to help me find the wisdom to live the abundant life.  He has given me example, after example, of blessings He has bestowed upon the obedient; and there are numerous accounts of the consequences of harlotry (deliberately living in sin).

Proverbs 7:4 (KJV) – Say unto wisdom, Thou art my sister; and call understanding thy kinswoman:  That they may keep thee from the strange woman [the harlot], from the stranger which flattereth with her words.


My Prayer For Today…Thank you, Lord, for reminding me to be cautious, and wary, of people that would lead me astray.  I am weak and flattery is appealing; help me to consider wisely the motives of others and to stick closely to You and to the people who will help me serve You!

Comments

The Top Three!

2014-0119 - the harvest

7 Ways To Make the Money Last - The Envelope System

Decluttering Journey