Don't Be Like A Skimmer Bird

Written by Carisa Stahl

Recently while visiting another church the pastor showed a picture of a skimmer bird. They feed from the surface of the water.



He said the picture reminded him of a quote in the front of his doctrine text book in Bible college.


"The surface of the Bible is skimmed
 but the depths are ignored."
Too often that quote is too true, even with pastors preaching sermons. Sometimes we read our Bibles more than at other times. Sometimes we read it because reading our Bible is what a "good Christian" is supposed to do but it is not really our hearts desire. 

Not only should we be reading our Bibles but we should be studying it, memorizing, and meditating on it. 

I remember a big question in Bible college, "How much (quantity of verses) should we be reading? One answer has stuck in my mind, "If you don't have time to read a whole book a chapter is better than nothing. If you don't have time to read a whole chapter a verse is better than nothing." A much better answer that I heard many years later is, "Read till God speaks to your heart." Sometimes that could be a verse or two and sometimes it may be a few chapters.  It's always good to have a pen handy so you can underline verses that God uses to speak to your heart.

I have been in only one church in my life where the importance of reading your Bible through in a year was repeatedly stressed. Truthfully I think that for most people that is not a good idea. I feel that too often reading the daily quota of verses is just to reach the goal of reading the Bible through in a year. When you read to reach a daily quota is God really speaking to your heart? 

2/26/14 UPDATE to the above paragraph. I was having a discussion this afternoon with one of my boys. In the search for a Bible reading chart he said that what he read made sense. Even if you are reading for your daily quota of Bible verses you are familiarizing yourself with stories from the Bible and also where to find things in the Bible.
  • Psalms 63:1 "O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;"
  • Psalms 119:11 "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."
  • Psalms 119:105  "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."
  • Psalms 119:133 "Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me."
  • Psalms 119:148 "Mine eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in thy word."
  • Psalms 119:162 "I rejoice at thy word, as one that findeth great spoil. "

Comments

  1. Thank you, Carisa! I like this advice. I've often felt inadequate because I couldn't keep up with a Bible in a Year reading plan. I will try this and read until I hear God's message for that day. I really appreciate your insights into walking with The Lord!

    Mary ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I hope this post was a blessing to you and that you found something to help you in your daily walk with Christ. Would you please take a moment and share something that makes your home run more smoothly and aids you in your Walk with Christ? MarySmiles ;-)

The Top Three!

7 Ways To Make the Money Last - The Envelope System

2014-0102 - encouragement

2014-0103 - lists1 - i like lists