2014-0114- be thou an example

Last night I had the opportunity to hear a remarkable young lady speak on goal setting.  She shared with me after she spoke that she had been reluctant to discuss goal setting in a group of “mature Christian Ladies” because she thought we were probably more experienced at life, and at setting goal setting, than she.  But, God kept urging her toward the subject and she did a beautiful job.

Her presentation was well thought out and timely since many of us are working on our goals for the upcoming year.  As she was speaking, I felt Gods presence in the room.  I’m sure from the conversations that followed many of us felt convicted.  I wonder if they thought God had urged her to speak on goal setting just for them, I did!

She touched on several areas that I myself have been considering in the process of setting some of my own goals.  Her focus was not however just on setting goals, or how to achieve them, but also on the matters of the heart that should guide us in setting our goals.  She encouraged us to plan; but also stressed that we should be open minded, and flexible; and that above all we should keep our hearts tender enough to receive Gods calling in our lives.

She shared the account of a certain rich man - Luke 12:13-21 (KJV) - who had accumulated so much that he didn’t have room enough to store it anymore.  He decided to tear down his barns and build bigger ones so he could keep all his wealth for himself.  That particular decision didn’t please God and it ended up costing the man his life.  It is not necessarily wrong to build big barns, but you shouldn’t build them at the expense of your relationship to God.  He valued his possessions more than he valued his relationship with God and consequently he lost both.  With my current situation, it seemed entirely inspired!

It encouraged me no end as she shared some of her personal stories; I listened and wondered at the wisdom she had accumulated during her young life.  Her humility and sincerity was fresh and sweet.  I was so grateful that she chose to obey to prompting of the Lord to share her story and to share her goals with us.  You could tell as she spoke that she loves the Lords and that she is entirely committed to spending her life trying to honor and please Him!

I need to let her know what an encouragement she was to me.  Sometimes, young people think that older folks have more experience, more answers to life’s questions, and that we know more than they do.  However, that is not always a good thing.  My experience, at her age, had little to do with making right choices, or serving the Lord.  I’ve made a lot of bad decisions.  Many of my choices have been self-motivated rather than God-centered.  I needed to hear the truth last night – even from a younger person – so that I can learn to let go of the controls and let God make right choices for my life.

Thank you so much my dear young friend!  You are truly someone special!  I want you to remember that we old dogs can learn new tricks and some of you young Christians, with spiritual maturity, are just the right people to teach us.  I would like to take a moment encourage you with Paul’s admonition to his young protégé, Timothy.

1 Timothy 4: 12 (KJV) – Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.


My prayer for today...  Dear Lord,   Thank you so much for bringing things together so this young woman could share her testimony and her goals with us last night.  Help me to encourage her in her Christian walk and remind me to pray for her as she strives to serve you!

Comments

The Top Three!

7 Ways To Make the Money Last - The Envelope System

2014-0102 - encouragement

2014-0103 - lists1 - i like lists