2014-0119 - the harvest

The farmer doesn’t plant the field, or endure the dog days of summer, because it is fun or because he needs some excitement in his life.  He makes his plans, plants the fields, and does his daily chores because he desires the harvest.  He desires the good part of farming…  Likewise, the good part of life, the abundance of God, is only available to us when we make our plans, do the work, and develop the good habits that lead to the desired result.

Jesus Christ himself was the best teacher in The Word, and in the world, on finishing what He started.  Jesus’ example was to honor and glorify God; that was His lifes work; and He did it in all that He said and did. 

John 17:4 (KJV) - I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

I would like to follow Jesus’ example. I want to honor and glorify God with my thoughts, words, and deeds.  That means that one day at a time, chore by chore, I must make the right choices to change my habits so that others will see the power and strength that God has given me to live the abundant life.  God is in the details; so I must be more attentive to them too.

Some of my friends have chosen a word - just one word - to think about, and to study, and they will meditate on it for the entire year.  I think it must be very powerful to think upon one word for a whole year; but I am guessing that it could make a profound change in the way we approach life.

This year I will think on “CONSTANCY.”  I have long been lacking in constancy.  I used to confuse constancy with consistency so I looked up the definitions of both in Webster’s 1828 Dictionary.  Both are good words; but I need to develop constancy in my life.

I will post the definition on my wall, I will look at it every day, and I will ask you to pray with me that I may develop constancy in my life.  The time, effort, and resources I’ve wasted during my lifetime can serve a useful purpose if I use those experiences to change my starts into good habits.

Constancy – From Webster’s 1828 Dictionary

CONSTANCY, n. [L., to stand.]
  1. Fixedness; a standing firm; hence, applied to God or his works, immutability; unalterable continuance; a permanent state.
  2. Fixedness or firmness of mind; persevering resolution; steady, unshaken determination; particularly applicable to firmness of mind under sufferings, to steadiness in attachments, and to perseverence in enterprise. Lasting affection; stability in love or friendship.
  3. Certainty; veracity; reality.

  

My prayer for today...  Dear Lord,   Thank you for making me aware of my need for constancy, give me the desire to stick to it until the harvest.  Lord, I desire the abundant life that you have offered me, and I am asking your help in establishing the good habits I need to develop in order to achieve success. 

Comments

  1. I have become a great procrastinator. I did not plan to choose a word but after reading Mary's post I read an article about a school where teachers chose a word for the year. It showed the teachers with their word on their hand showing it to the camera. The word NOW popped out at me. I decided it would be appropriate to choose the word NOW. Here are it's definitions:
    ~At the present time
    ~ At this moment
    ~ Without further delay
    ~ Immediately
    ~ At once
    ~ At the time of speaking
    ~ Instantly


    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you! God will work on making improvements with that one little word; and He will help you with your daily work! You are such an encouragement to me! I am so glad you are my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I hope this post was a blessing to you and that you found something to help you in your daily walk with Christ. Would you please take a moment and share something that makes your home run more smoothly and aids you in your Walk with Christ? MarySmiles ;-)

The Top Three!

7 Ways To Make the Money Last - The Envelope System

2014-0102 - encouragement